Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20180125: ucode-intel
On Sat, 2018-01-27 at 18:07 +0000, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

Packages changed:
ucode-intel (20180108 -> 20171117)

So this reverts the microcode patches (also) for Skylake, correct?

Any words on the influence regarding Meltdown/Spectre? Are the other (kernel)
measures 'good enough' also w/o microcode update?

Please see
https://news.opensuse.org/2018/01/26/opensuse-meltdown-spectre-update-26-jan-2018/
for more detailed information on the topic.

As for ucode-intel, it states:

"""
While we have released updates for some Intel chipsets and also AMD
Ryzen, the Intel CPU Microcode updates were later found to be unstable
and have now been retracted.

Intel is currently working on better versions of the CPU Microcode,
which we will ship once they become available.

For openSUSE Tumbleweed we have reverted the “ucode-intel” package to
the pre-Spectre state.
"""

Cheers,
Dominique