Re: [opensuse-factory] Cannot boot after upgrading to Snapshot 20180120
  • From: H Zeng <zhx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:32:10 +0000

Try creating (untested)

/etc/systemd/system/btrfs-balance.timer.d/later.conf

containing:

[Timer]
OnBootSec=1h

and run systemctl daemon-reload

Note that timers are triggered when either specification expires.
Which means it will run 1 hour after boot *or* as otherwise specified.

Mon 2018-01-29 00:00:00 GMT 6 days left Mon 2018-01-22 16:15:01
GMT 4min 52s ago btrfs-balance.timer btrfs-balance.service

So, `btrfs-balance` does run at 10min after boot. But I do not know what
does other information indicate. This is beyond my knowledge.

It is run 10 minutes after boot *and* is scheduled to run in 7 days (or
rather "weekly" which is Monday 00:00). So you simply added additional
points in time when balance runs. Before it would run only on Monday
(also if you reboot on Monday) now it will *additionally* run on every
reboot :)

I am not sure what happens if you boot on Monday, will systemd "merge"
these two timer runs or you get balance run twice.

Ok, it's Monday. But I forgot to shutdown the laptop but just suspended it to
RAM. So it did not experience a "boot" process this morning but only a
"resume".

The "btrfs-balance" did run after the resume for about 4 minutes,
```
cnzhx@ostp:~> systemd-analyze blame
4min 906ms btrfs-balance.service
23.638s fstrim.service
1.441s logrotate.service
1.111s tor.service
1.072s apparmor.service
931ms dkms.service
898ms btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service
884ms display-manager.service
```
And now, it is automatically set to run on "Thu 2018-02-01 00:00:00 GMT". I
guess it wants to run as scheduled "monthly".

I am going to re-enable the "1 hour delay" "later.timer" as suggested by
Andrei Borzenkov in above quote and reboot right after this. I will report
back two days later.