Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20180125: ucode-intel
On 01/27/2018 12:21 PM, Frank Krüger wrote:
Am 27.01.2018 um 19:07 schrieb Peter Suetterlin:
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

Packages changed:

ucode-intel (20180108 -> 20171117)

So this reverts the microcode patches (also) for Skylake, correct?

Any words on the influence regarding Meltdown/Spectre?>
Are the other (kernel) measures '?good enough' also w/o microcode update?

For current TW kernel "grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/"
gives

sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full
generic retpoline

Posted this morning by Linus Torvalds to Dan Williams:

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:55 PM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's another spin of the spectre-v1 mitigations for 4.16.

I see nothing really objectionable here.

And unlike Spectre-v2 and Meltdown, I expect Spectre-v1 to be with us
for a long time. It's not a "CPU did a bad job with checking the
cached information it had" (whether it be from the TLB, BTB or RSB),
it's pretty fundamental to just regular conditional branch prediction.

So ack from me, and I don't expect this to be behind any config options.

I still haven't really seen any numbers for this, but I _assume_ it's
basically not measurable.

Linus