Re: [opensuse-factory] firewalld migration
Matthias Gerstner wrote:
[...]
I think the SuSEfirewall2 service files should stay around until the
migration to the new default firewall is complete. We can get rid of
these files only after SuSEfirewall2 has been completely removed from
openSUSE. It's unconvenient that these files are spread across many
different packages so it will probably take a while until they're all
cleaned up.

Or just drop them and generate SuSEfirewall2 files based on the
firewalld ones if needed. I suppose the information for most
services can't be all that different. Just a collection of ports.
Differences need to be looked at and resolved anyways. Anyone
actively looking into that?

[...]
If anybody thinks that a service definition is missing in firewalld then

Just grep ARCHIVES.gz to see what service files exist in the distro,
compare that to what firewalld offers and then create the missing
ones.

please tell me so we can see what to do about it. The correct way in
[...]
Should many additional service files be needed (what I don't hope) then
we could also think about introducing a separate package that holds all
those custom service files. This would make maintaining them easier from
the firewall perspective. But adds some burden to packagers that need
changes to them.

What is the benefit of centralizing that?
Wouldn't the UI then display hundreds of entries rather than just
offering what is actually on the system?
If we wanted the UI to display 'everything' it could just as well show
/etc/services ;-)

cu
Ludwig

--