Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] Why has -fstack-clash-protection been added to optflags?
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:13:35AM +0200, Dave Plater wrote:

On 24/01/2018 10:26, Richard Biener wrote:
I can't see how anything sane would prevent using a newer compiler for
any of the above packages. The compilers generate ABI compatible
code after all, so unless audacity and friends do sth very stupid there
shouldn't be an issue with building one of them with a newer compiler.

wxWidgets is very sensitive see:
It's a pity I didn't choose gcc7 then but audacity appears to be very
popular in our distribution.

Another question, logic dictates that a package has to actually build with
-fstack-clash-protection to benefit from it? Doesn't this mean that all 42.3
packages need to rebuild?

The idea is to slowly get packages rebuilt with this option just by
releasing regular updates with other fixes.

We can selectively update for instance setuid root applications just for this,
but I have so far not specifically planned for that.

Ciao, Marcus