Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] Why has -fstack-clash-protection been added to optflags?
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018, Dave Plater wrote:

On 23/01/2018 11:33, Marcus Meissner wrote:
Hi,

This was me, I enabled it yesterday night again.

Can you use "gcc7" or "gcc48" from 42.3:Update?
Any chance of a gcc5 update as well?

Where is gcc5 coming from?
My home and multimedia:apps repos are fed from openSUSE:Leap:42.3:Update.

I really would like to enable this security feature.

Ciao, Marcus
gcc7 is fine for all but audacity's 42.3 build. At the onset of 42.3 audacity
had a minimum gcc requirement of 4.9 so I used gcc5 and found that
wxWidgets-3_0-nostl also had to be built with gcc5, updates were made but this
means that newer audacity's also have to build with gcc5 for 42.3. I'm
assuming that -fstack-clash-protection must be a build option which wasn't
used with gcc5 and gcc6.

I can't see how anything sane would prevent using a newer compiler for
any of the above packages. The compilers generate ABI compatible
code after all, so unless audacity and friends do sth very stupid there
shouldn't be an issue with building one of them with a newer compiler.

Richard.

I'm going to wipe the multimedia:apps/audacity 42.3 binaries, it's still
available in Packman for 42.3, their repos obviously don't link to 42.3
update, they should though.
Thanks
Dave P

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB