Re: [opensuse-factory] Rust
On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 13:55 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
wrote:
On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 13:49 +0100, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:
On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 13:12 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 01/23/2018 11:26 AM, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:
We are diverging for the main topic. Your assert is that Rust
is
willing to break code that target stable-Rust in almost each
release,
and I think that this is a missunderstanding about the
expectations
that are fair to use agains the compiler. That is all.

No, we are not.

Two main points are still valid:

1) Rust is not as stable as it should be for core packages.

But this is an affirmation that needs some data. As explained
before
Rust stable will guarantee that the same package that compiles for
one
version will compile for the next. I am still waiting for an
example
where this is not true, and I am not able to see the build failure
in
librsvg in OBS.

I did make one example of this:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2018-01/msg00488.html

granted, it's the only example I know from openSUSE Tumbleweed

Oh thanks! But this is easy to explain:

https://blog.rust-lang.org/2018/01/04/Rust-1.23.html

This is to remove a warning. Probably FF is compiling with
`deny(warnings)` somewhere.

And actually this is a good example about the stability guarantees that
Rust is expected to provide. `std::ascii::AsciiExt` is a trait that is
not used anymore, instead of dropping it from the standard library they
provide an empty trait. Because of this, a warning is generated: the
program will compile, and will behave as when it was compiled with an
older version. The issue here is that FF is considering warnings as
errors.

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany