Re: [opensuse-factory] Rust
On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 10:37 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 01/22/2018 07:02 PM, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:
As a mater of fact there are some changes that were not backward
compatible, but those were bugs that affected the soundness of the
compiler, and the usage was not very common. In any case I am not
aware
of any project that was hit by those changes.

No, I have been there, done that. It's currently too frustrating.

In that case this is anothera different issue. Can I assume by the
content that is librsvg the one that breaks from one stable version to
another?

We are diverging for the main topic. Your assert is that Rust is
willing to break code that target stable-Rust in almost each release,
and I think that this is a missunderstanding about the expectations
that are fair to use agains the compiler. That is all.

I don't know how to run this check in openSUSE, but look at the
packages
whose build dependencies would become uninstallable on most
architectures
in Debian if we were to upgrade librsvg to the Rust version:

https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/librsvg.txt

`zypper info` can help here.

You don't think this is a problem?

And you didn't even address the problem that Rust upstream
effectively
doesn't care about anything besides x86/x86_64.

Sure. Clearly FF is not running on ARM on Android. I think that you
have another missunderstanding on Tier 2 concept here [1]

[1] https://forge.rust-lang.org/platform-support.html

Thanks for trying to paint me as an uneducated person. But just in
case
you didn't read the link you posted:

Sorry if I make this impression. I didn't choose the right words. What
I try to say is that tier 2 is not exacly "doesn't care about anything besides
x86/x86_64". Is simply reflecting that some automatic tests are not running for
each commit to the compiler, but is expected to work. And in the case of
Android and ARM is clearly working.

And before you want to accuse me of more incompetence: In Debian, I'm
a porter
for most for most of the unofficial architectures.

Did I? Sorry if I made this impression!

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany