Re: [opensuse-factory] kgd2kgfd_probe failed

On 21-01-18 21:33, Arjen de Korte wrote:
Citeren Frans de Boer <frans@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On 21-01-18 21:08, Frans de Boer wrote:
On 21-01-18 21:05, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Frans de Boer <frans@xxxxxxxxxx> [01-21-18 15:03]:
On 21-01-18 19:03, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
Op zondag 21 januari 2018 17:02:31 CET schreef Frans de Boer:

I keep getting the message "kgd2kfd_probe failed" message, after which
the system stops loading KDE.

I can boot, get the login screen, but some seconds thereafter the screen
freezes. I cab still switch to a console screen, but logging into the
graphical environment is not working.

I am using a laptop with an AMD A6 CPU.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Frans.
Is this Tumbleweed? If so, did you use 'zypper dup' to update?

No, I did an update with yast2 sw_single.

then you should heed the caution that Tw *requires* updates using "zypper

However, it seems to be resolved with 4.15-rc8. As I expected, it's a bug
introduced around 4.14.13 or so. Earlier kernels and TW updates did not gave
me that problem. So, I just wait until a proper update comes along and leave
the laptop as unusable for the time being.

and you very well may not be so *lucky* in the future.

Thanks for the positive end note.

I do not want all the 32-bit packages again, which I get again for free if using zypper dup.

That's an easy fix: 'zypper rm patterns-base-x86 glibc-32bit' will take care of that.

Ok, thanks all.
I never used zypper directly, to cumbersome.
No today I followed the directions ending with those from Jan (zypper dup --no-r)
That worked, and I am back using the laptop again.

I will explore the possibilities and usefulness of zypper again, hoping I don't drown in the options swap ;)

Regard, Frans.