Re: [opensuse-factory] btrfs /var changes
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 20:44:46 +0100
Op zondag 21 januari 2018 20:02:26 CET schreef Andrei Borzenkov:
21.01.2018 21:21, Richard Brown пишет:
On 21 January 2018 at 15:43, Antoine Belvire

<antoine.belvire@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I've moved to the new layout so I've written something on how to do it:
https://www.alionet.org/content.php?801-openSUSE-change-son-%AB-partition
nement-%BB-Btrfs/view/2.

The explanations are in French but the commands are the same in English
;-)

This guide is wrong, dangerous, and should not be followed

_I strongly recommend against anyone using this guide_

To summarise it's key flaws

#1 The guide does not make clear that the new structure should NOT BE
USED on Leap 42.3 or earlier distributions.
Anyone using a flat /var subvolume on Leap 42.3 or earlier WILL break
their system when rolling back because rpm still locates it's database
in /var/lib/rpmdb in that version, and hundreds of packages store
their fillup-templates in /var/adm still.

You cannot forbid users to chose arbitrary filesystem layout during
installation. If this is so dangerous, snapper should refuse to perform
rollback (or even create snapshots actually). If snapper allows it, how
can you blame users?

I don't see Richard forbidding things. Strongly recommending against it, yes.
No software can completely armour itself against user misconfiguration.

--

Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team