Re: [opensuse-factory] btrfs /var changes
On 21 January 2018 at 15:43, Antoine Belvire
<antoine.belvire@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've moved to the new layout so I've written something on how to do it:

The explanations are in French but the commands are the same in English ;-)

This guide is wrong, dangerous, and should not be followed

_I strongly recommend against anyone using this guide_

To summarise it's key flaws

#1 The guide does not make clear that the new structure should NOT BE
USED on Leap 42.3 or earlier distributions.
Anyone using a flat /var subvolume on Leap 42.3 or earlier WILL break
their system when rolling back because rpm still locates it's database
in /var/lib/rpmdb in that version, and hundreds of packages store
their fillup-templates in /var/adm still.

#2 The guide assumes @ is the correct subvoulme to add the new /var.
This is incorrect for many many users.
@ does not exist on any installations that are upgraded from old
release versions of openSUSE (including installations of Tumbleweed
circa 2015 or earlier - it was only introduced around the period of
Leap 42.1 IIRC)

3. Even if you correct the guide to address #1 and #2 the guide does
nothing to address the fact that every single snapshot will be
invalidated, as your old snapshots will still include contents in /var
but your root filesystem will now have /var as a subvolume.
I admit I am not sure of the consequences of trying to rollback to an
old subvolume in this case, but I imagine they will not be pretty.
Has anyone tested this? I haven't because the lack of a clear
solutions to #1 and #2 put the need for this at the bottom of my list.

Please, either correct the document with clear answers to the above
issues or remove the guide as soon as possible.
Anyone following your guide is at risk of breaking their system,
whereas anyone leaving their structure alone, like I intended, will
have no problems for the foreseeable future.

Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer
SUSE Linux GmbH