Re: [opensuse-factory] btrfs /var changes
On dimanche, 21 janvier 2018 11.46:00 h CET Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Sun, Jan 21, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
We will not be automatically moving user data from the old structure
to the new one, but I'm open to any suggestions on how to script it if
anyone has any bright ideas.

Richard, is there a documented manual way (wiki, github, ml), for those
who
will not do a reinstall, but would like to move to the new layout ?

Richard ask for suggestions how this can be done, so no, there is none.

I'm a bit surprised about removing data checksum on /var (nocow implying
this) If you have a bit spare time to point me to some material
explaining the decision, I would be really interested.

Please think about what are the advantages of CoW, what the disadvantages
and which data is stored below /var. And look how many subvolumes we had
before with NoCoW below /var. Then it should be pretty obious, that
performance is more important here than the very limited benefit of CRC32.

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten, while I'm very new in using btrfs, I'm now a puzzled.

If I have nocow on /var it means that for example named will be no more
protected from data corruption, from my understanding pov.

Or I missed one important information ?

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch