Re: [opensuse-factory] ssh -X failing in 20180116
On 01/18/2018 09:43 AM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 17:57:34 +0100, Martin Herkt <lachs0r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2018 15:20:20 CET Petr Cerny wrote:
That said, please do not use X forwarding unless you really must even
after ten people told you this sentence. Every time someone uses X
forwarding, <insert your favourite kitten/baby cries/dies/starves
combination or whatever>.

I strongly advocate using VNC (tunnelled through an ssh connection, if
you like) - quick guide: 1) start `Xnvc` (preferably through the
`vncserver`) - you'll need the xorg-x11-Xvnc package (on openSUSE); 2)
connect to it with a VNC client (e.g. tigervnc, but there are more). It
is also possible to attach to a running desktop session with x11vnc.
I second that. Note: There’s xrdp, too, which is compatible with Windows’
built-in RDP client and also supports forwarding audio, clipboard and other
things, and it can forward single application windows (rather than a full
session). However, setup is unfortunately more complicated than sshd.
These are to take over a desktop, something IMHO seldom needed on
servers. Additionally, xrdp needs to run as a service, which will -
again - use server resources where I most of the time would need them
for server processing tasks.

FWIW the old rdesktop tool will not connect to recentish Windows
systems. You'll need xfreerdp for that, which - hate hate hate hate -
changed the option syntax to something very NOT unix/linux like ☠☠☠☠☠

Old (rdesktop):

rdesktop \
-T windows \
-u username -p - \
-g 1600x1024 -a 24 -C -x l \
-r clipboard:CLIPBOARD \
-K -N -P \
windows

New (xfreerdp):

xfreerdp \
/t:windows \
/u:username /from-stdin \
/size:1600x1024 /bpp:32 \
+clipboard \
/cert-ignore \
/nsc \
/v:windows

And the worst thing there is that xfreerdb used to support the
old-style options and they removed that in favor of this windows-like
unremberable bullshit

Actually, if you're talking about RDP type protocols, you're talking about MS Windows. Saying "seldom needed on servers" is less than accurate. To pay my bills, I support many enterprises that use MS Windows, including Fortune 500 level enterprises. It's not just common, but the only thing they know how to and/or allowed do... "Desktop" takeover of the server via the windows native methods.

"Strongly" advocating VNC with or without tunnels, in all of it's fragmented forms, is simply not realistic either. Apple has it's flavor, then there are Tiger, Tight and Real.  Sometimes they interoperate.  More and more often, they don't.

Sigh