[opensuse-factory] Just found the source of my touchpad/X11 issues. Now what?
Le 12/01/2018 à 08:40, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :
Le 11/01/2018 à 08:55, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :
Le 10/01/2018 à 21:26, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :
Le 10/01/2018 à 18:03, Christian Boltz a écrit :
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018, 15:02:21 CET schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan
Lettink:
It is not possible to install older TW snapshots. That would require
copies of the repos on every snapshots, which would come at huge
costs.
Nothing is impossible ;-)

In fact, Jimmy Berry did exactly that - see
http://release-tools.opensuse.org/ for details. The article from
2017-11-22 should help to get started.

Note that I only read about this, but never used it - the software from
yesterday's snapshot is too old for me ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

Hi Christian,

I'm trying this out right now, and it does indeed seem to be the perfect tool for bisecting exactly which snapshot is causing my touchpad issues :)

That being said, if it gets more popular, I do hope that someone with lots of money or spare optical fibers will donate some better hosting to Jimmy. For the purpose of downloading Tumbleweed's gigabyte-sized snapshots, a downstream bandwidth of ~20 kB/s is downright painful...

Cheers,
Hadrien

Hi all,

Using Jimmy Berry's Tumbleweed snapshots, I managed to narrow down the issue to the upgrade between the 20171220 and the 20171222 snapshot. This is interesting since...

 * It is not the snapshot which I would have most expected to be faulty
   from the update logs that I found on opensuse-factory.
 * Its contents differ from the expectations which I had from the
   update logs that I found on the opensuse-factory archive.

I send you a copy of the zypper log associated with this problematic upgrade, in case someone has a deeper insight than me on what specifically could cause the problem in there. Right now, my top candidate is the 4.14.6-1.6 to 4.14.6-1.8 kernel update (however minor it may look), followed by various accessibility-related packages which may possibly interact with X11's input handling in ways I am unaware of.

I will try to install these one by one later on, and see what happens....

Cheers,
Hadrien

Hi all,

I investigated this a bit more yesterday, and reached a point where I have a system which boots and works fine, but running dracut for any reason (either manually or by installing a package which requires it like device-mapper) breaks it.

This is unfortunate: so far, I assumed that zypper automatically ran dracut whenever anything initrd-related changed, and it seems that this is not the case after all. Now I'll need to rewind through my btrfs snapshot history until I find the point in time where the the system actually broke, and start over from there... Hopefully it's not too far away in the past, and snapper has not garbage-collected it away yet.

Cheers,
Hadrien

Hi all,

So, after further experiments, I narrowed all of my touchpad issues down to a plymouth update (0.9.2 -> 0.9.3).

If I don't install the plymouth update, or if I disable plymouth after installing the update (by adding "plymouth.enable=0" to the kernel command line), my X process doesn't go crazy spinning on the CPU and spamming the logs with touchpad driver errors. If I enable plymouth again, my laptop's X server goes back into its former crazy state.

I'm happy with disabling plymouth as a temporary workaround, because it allows me to keep my laptop up to date while the problem gets fixed. But at the same time, I'm also completely lost: how can an update to plymouth, a piece of software which afaik is only there to display fancy splash screens at boot time, break handling of touchpads in X11? Could perhaps something go wrong in the plymouth -> X11 display handover? Where should I submit a bug report about this?

Cheers,
Hadrien