Re: [opensuse-factory] steam & kernel 4.14.12
Kernel 4.14.12 on Tumbleweed automatically disables PTI if AMD is
detected. So you shouldn't have to disable PTI yourself now.

But PhenomII are quite old, maybe there's an issue with them.

However are you sure it's related to kernel?
Did you try to launch Steam via command line?

___
Alex aka DarthWound
Global Steam Moderator