Re: [opensuse-factory] latest evolution 3.26.3-1.1 is NOT compatible with latest libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 2.18.4-1.1
On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 10:06 +0100, Richard Biener wrote:

The real issue is of course false binary compatibility promises made
via not changing the SONAME or using symbol versioning...

Of course it's quite hard to do right, especially with C++, but still
I'd expect "core" libraries to do better here...

That asks for a definition of 'core' library / 'core applications' -
but we're getting off-topic quickly there.

Yes, it would be nice if C++ would be less of a PITA with symbol
mangling, yes, it would be awesome if upstreams would learn about
symbol versioning, but no, I don't see this changing anytime soon (but
we keep on mentioning over and over - maybe one day; let's not give up
hope just yet)

Cheers
Dominique
< Previous Next >