[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2018/01
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

The year started with a big bang. Be it that since the last review,
there have actually been 7 snapshots released (20171228, 1229, 1230,
1231, 20180101, 0102 and 0103) or that the news is full with reports
about security issues[0]. Let’s hope we can keep up the rate of
snapshot releases (we won’t be able to keep it for the whole year; 7 in
a week means I get no weekends) – but for the 2nd part, let’s hope we
won’t have to cope with such things too often this year.

The 7 snapshots contained those interesting bits and pieces:

* Evolution 3.26.3
* Linux kernel 4.14.9
* AppArmor 2.12
* KDE Plasma 5.11.5

Some snapshots were a bit smaller than others, but holiday season
brings this as a consequence. But the stagings are full of things
happening:

* Linux Kernel 4.14.11 (incl fixes for Meltdown, in snapshot 0104)
* RPM 4.14
* LibreOffice 6.0; this reached RC quality, which the maintainer
declared ‘fit for use’ (KDE users will get the KDE4-based UI back)
* KDE Frameworks 5.41
* CMake logic change: newer python versions will be favored (meaning,
python3)
* The YaST Team’s libstorage-ng reimplementation

This all promises to be some interesting time ahead of us

Cheers,
Dominique

[0] https://goo.gl/EeezAc
  • No further messages