Re: [opensuse-factory] Sound delayed when playing via HDMI

On 26/12/17 21:17, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
Op zondag 24 december 2017 07:48:49 CET schreef Simon Lees:
On 24/12/17 16:31, Basil Chupin wrote:
PS You don't mention whether you are using the sound on the mobo or a
PCI(e) sound card, nor which video card to be able to use VLC, nor which
monitor you have. Providing such info is most useful to have one's
problem resolved (often) quicker.

The sound goes through the graphical card:

The system is configured to use the HDMI sound device as the default.

The thing that raises my attention is that both devices use the same driver,
snd_hda_intel.

This is likely correct, ither because they used a intel audio chip on
the graphics card or because the audio chip they created has the same
interfaces as the intel one.

If the sound is going through HDMI then the Video card that is
outputting the HDMI signal will also be treated as the sound card. Given
it is just forwarding the digital audio signal via HDMI it shouldn't be
doing much processing though.

Another thing to check is that your playback sample rate isn't too high
and matches one that can be sent over HDMI otherwise your sound card is
having to convert the digital signal which it may not be good at. I
don't know how to check / set that with pulse audio though.

I have no possibility to set anything in my monitor concerning sound, which
is
an ACER.

These are settings in Pulse Audio not your monitor, you want to try a
much lower bitrate and or sample rate.

Besides, there was a suggestion to delay sound, but the problem is that the
sound is about one second later than what is on the screen. Mouse movement on
the screen is in sync with moving the mouse. The only solution is to have the
sound processing faster.

Modifying your audio settings in Pulse audio is likely to speed up audio
processing. similar to how modifying video settings in a game for
example can speed up video processing.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30