[opensuse-factory] Would it be interesting to provide .zsync files at the download server?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 16:16:14 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I became aware of zsync on a thread on usenet. We provide the application:

<https://software.opensuse.org/package/zsync?search_term=zsync>

+++------------
zsync
Client-side Implementation of the Rsync Algorithm over HTTP

zsync is a implementation of rsync over HTTP. It allows updating of files from
a remote Web server without requiring a full download or a special remote
server application. It uses a metafile, which is created on the server,
to determine which parts of a file the user already has; it then downloads
the remaining parts via HTTP. No special server or Web server module is
needed. It also works with gzip files, and content on the server can be
compressed to further reduce download times.

The download server would have to generate .zsync files, and the client would have to be pointed at the zsync file instead (it took me 30" to generate the .zsync file for dvd_image.iso). After that, all the processing is done at the clients.

More info:

<https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=%22zsync%22+%22ISO%22&hl=en&gbv=1&sei=eSQ9WrinDorp6ATTg7nYBw>

Ubuntu uses it, and apparently it could be used to update the previous TW iso to the current one, downloading less data (I have been unable so far to verify).

Would this be interesting to have? :-? :-)

- -- Cheers

Carlos E. R.