Re: [opensuse-factory] tumbleweed
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:03:49 +0100
Am Freitag, 22. Dezember 2017, 08:37:17 CET schrieb Oliver Kurz:
On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:18:39 CET Simon Lees wrote:
On 22/12/17 05:03, Simon Becherer wrote:

how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?

I don't think we have specified a limit, but given we still support
upgrading from older versions of leap you should be thinking in terms of
years rather then days or weeks we are normally pretty slow at removing
code needed to migrate from packaging.

That is correct. Basically you should think about the risk of upgrade
problems introduced that can not be easily fixed and tests. There is one
openQA test that is testing just the upgrade from the previous TW snapshot
to the current one plus upgrade tests from many older versions, e.g.
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/latest?test=update_13.1-gnome&arch=x86_64&;
machine=64bit&version=Tumbleweed&flavor=DVD&distri=opensuse for an upgrade
test from openSUSE 13.1 to current Tumbleweed. Just recently the upgrade
tests from openSUSE 12.X were removed because they were too hard to
maintain from the test perspective but it should still work with just minor
conflicts that need to be resolved by hand.

From my personal experience with hardware that is only randomly used - update
cycles of a year have not caused problems so far when updating TW to TW.

HTH
Axel