Re: [opensuse-factory] tumbleweed
On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:18:39 CET Simon Lees wrote:
On 22/12/17 05:03, Simon Becherer wrote:
General tumbleweed question:

is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to
NOT install?

with other words:

- if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem

with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to
install immediately.>
how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a problem?

thanks for info,

simoN

I don't think we have specified a limit, but given we still support
upgrading from older versions of leap you should be thinking in terms of
years rather then days or weeks we are normally pretty slow at removing
code needed to migrate from packaging.

That is correct. Basically you should think about the risk of upgrade problems
introduced that can not be easily fixed and tests. There is one openQA test
that is testing just the upgrade from the previous TW snapshot to the current
one plus upgrade tests from many older versions, e.g.
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/latest?test=update_13.1-gnome&arch=x86_64&machine=64bit&version=Tumbleweed&flavor=DVD&distri=opensuse
for an upgrade test from openSUSE 13.1 to current Tumbleweed. Just recently
the upgrade tests from openSUSE 12.X were removed because they were too hard
to maintain from the test perspective but it should still work with just minor
conflicts that need to be resolved by hand.