Re: [opensuse-factory] xdpyinfo is using 100% of one cpu
* Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-21-17 08:22]:
* Manfred Hollstein <mhollstein@xxxxxxxxxxx> [12-21-17 08:11]:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 13:59:18 +0100, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-21-17 07:52]:
Tw 20171218

the last several mornings I have one cpu pegged at 100% by xdpyinfo.
Starts at 3:00am local time, but doesn't appear to be started by a cron
job and I cannot locate a systemd timer that appears related.

killing the two related xdpyinfo instances relieves the 100% cpu.

sorry, should have included:
X.Org version: 1.19.5
GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2
NVIDIA 387.34

can you reproduce this?

no, instances are owned by <user>, but starting an instance from cl
completes displaying info to screen, and ends. the instances using 100%
cpu do not end.

If so, you should be using
"ps -fHu <user-running-xdpyinfo> | grep -C 3 xdpyinfo" or
"pstree | grep -C 3 xdpyinfo" to figure out which process was calling

tomorrow I will do this.

xdpyinfo. If that doesn't reveil the evil, you can try brute-force using
find -x / /boot /var /usr /home -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -r fgrep -l
xdpyinfo

to get a list of files whose content reference "xdpyinfo".

running "brute-force" now.

will advise.

found culprit, tks

I have a python backup instance runs at 3am every day, backintime:
/usr/share/backintime/common/tools.py
def check_x_server():
return 0 == os.system( 'xdpyinfo >/dev/null 2>&1' )

for some reason the xdpyinfo instance persists. I have the same software
running on my server but with an ati card.

guess I need to try a different nvidia driver version as I didn't have the
problem until recently and the current driver is also recent.

tks for the help. If the driver change doesn't solve it, I'll be back.

tks