[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2017/48
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

Some weeks, snapshots just fall out of OBS and pass openQA without
issues, other weeks cause a bit more trouble and some snapshots are
decided to be discarded. But hey, that is exactly what we have openQA
for, isn’t it? So, since my last review, only 2 snapshots have seen the
light of day: 1125 and 1129. But as usual, if there is a gap, it only
means issues from one snapshot are getting fixed in the next one until
it is back in a stage where we can release it to the users.

The important/interesting changes that happened in those two snapshots
were:

* Linux kernel 4.14.1 and 4.14.2 (yes, two snapshots, both bring a
new kernel. crazy!)
* OpenSSL 1.1 is now the default for the distribution. This might
cause some update problems, especially if you have development packages
installed. The recommendation is to let zypper remove libopenssl-1_0_0-
devel (so it can upgrade to 1.1). Depending on what you’re developing
for, you might get other issues reported (for example libQT4-devel, as
Qt4 does not support openSSL1.1 and never will)
* SCons build system now uses python3 as the interpreter. This can
cause some build failures if you SConscript is not python3 compatible.
* PostgreSQL 10 has landed

And the staging areas are full, those things are brewing:

* Qt 5.9.3
* More packages moving to python3 (minimizing the python2 usage)
* Linux Kernel 4.14.3
* YaST’s libstorage-ng implementation

An additional note for packagers: As you are aware, the variable
suse_version is used to distinguish between the various openSUSE
versions. On December 1st 2017, openSUSE Tumbleweed changed
suse_version from 1330 to 1550. Please see the announcement mail[0] on
the mailing list.

Cheers,
Dominique

[0] https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-12/msg00044.html