[opensuse-factory] FF57 in Tumbleweed (was: FF56 in Tumbleweed)
  • From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 20:16:57 +0100
Achim Gratz writes:
I managed to convert the installation on the old machine from i586 to
x86_64 without a full re-install, so I now have FF56 on there. The
conversion was smooth sailing in comparison to what I am now facing with
the extensions: most of what I've come to rely on either isn't ready yet
(so I can't test it), their developers have thrown in the towel
(i.e. these will never be updated) or the suggested replacements are
lacking the very functionality I'm using. But that's not an issue for
this list…

With FF57 now out I could do an actual test on that machine last
weekend. FF57 is not faster (but it's a single core machine, so I
wasn't expecting that), but does not feel much slower either. It uses
significantly more memory, which was to be expected.

The situation with the extensions has improved a bit, though the
remaining losses are still painful: ScrapBook (Mozilla suggests MS
OneNote as a replacement…), ElementHiding Helper, DownThemAll and
AddonBar Restored. The functionality of a handful of other extensions
I've used seems to be replaceable (not 1:1 of course, so that will take
a while to set up) by switching to uMatrix. I'm still hoping for ESR52
to stick around a while longer thancurrently planned so that there's
more time for the extensions to catch up.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html