Re: [opensuse-factory] Announcing Tumbleweed Snapshots: Rolling With You
  • From: Jimmy Berry <jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 16:51:56 -0600
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Certainly a nice helping solution, but keep in mind that bug reports
coming from such a 'mix-and-mash' upgrdaed TW setup will simply not be
handled. There have been numerous times reports about libraries that
changed in incompatible ways without changing their soversion. Such
things will bite you even more often.

This introduces zero "mix-and-mash". If someone was using lots of
repos before they still
will, if not they still will not. SO versions have absolutely nothing
to do with this and will
not bite more frequently. Bug reports will be the same since still
running the same
Tumbleweed. If user reports from seven day old update it will be the
same with this setup
or the default.

Let alone that a new library is perfecly allowed to add functions
without changing the so-version. A binary built against the newer lib
might make use of this new functions. The dependency will,
nevertheless, be on libFOO<NUM>, with <NUM> not having changed, yet
your application not starting in the end.

Again, really not relevant at all.

Tumbleweed snapshots are a tested unit; the same trouble you keep on
running in while running 'zypper up' instead of 'zypper dup' will bite
you here. And I for one will always ask for 'zypper dup' on a bug if
this setup is being used.

Zero change to zypper operation as I stated. Still expected to do a dup.

Based on this and other emails it seems I need a more verbose
explanation of what this
attempts to accomplish and how.