Re: [opensuse-factory] Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune
On 2017-11-24 18:14, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
Hi,

there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to drop
fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.

Werner

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194

I have no idea what the recode vs iconv issues are.

apropos recode throws tons of hits, so I'm baffled. It seems a set of
tools to convert from one charset to another. Is this going to
disappear, too?

apropos iconv throws several hits, but fewer. It appears to do a similar
thing.

fortune.c is a single source file of 41000 bytes, 1722 lines. Not big.
It includes recode.h. I was a C programmer, but I haven't touched it in
more than a decade, and not in Linux. I don't know, but I think I can't
help much with switching from recode to iconv.

I see in the repos a "misfortune" package, described as a "Fortune-mod
clone". Can we use that as a drop-in replacement to "fortune", or is it
sufficiently similar. Can it use the same fortune listings?

I see it in "https://github.com/mokus0/misfortune";, I think.

README.md

This is a fortune-mod clone. In addition to the features generally
expected of a fortune program, this can be used as a Haskell library
(import Data.Fortune) and also supports UTF-8 fortune files,
configurable search paths, automatic merging of fortune databases with
the same name (so you can have a local fortunes folder that just adds to
existing fortune databases), filtering fortunes by line lengths, and a
"print fortune matching regex" mode (instead of just "print all fortunes
matching regex" mode).

Could we use that one instead, or does it has also issues of its own?
I see it is in TW.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.