Re: [opensuse-factory] Machine seems sluggish, under KDE,, local access is slow and baloo_file takes 15-20% of the cores
On 21/11/17 06:24, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-20-17 22:06]:

El 2017-11-20 a las 21:38 -0500, Patrick Shanahan escribió:
* Carlos E. R. <> [11-20-17 19:35]:
On 2017-11-21 00:26, Foolish Ewe wrote:
Hello all:

I'm running on what should be a nearly idle machine with fast hardware,
but it doesn't feel like it.  My laptop has a high constant load average
and becomes unresponsive. I think I'm running with default settings for
this service, what would be the appropriate settings

Baloo is an indexer, and for some reason it may be stuck, loading the
hard disk heavily and thus slowing your machine as a result.

Maybe you need to kill it and erase its index.

but, beware that erasing the index means that baloo must regenerate that
index and will be more "cpu intensive" until that is accomplished.

True. But I'm thinking of a corrupt index. I remember indexers getting hung
on a particular file and never finish.

Or maybe the matter to index is huge :-?

I'm not familiar with current KDE/Plasma whatever, but surely the indexing
can be configured somewhere.

yes, there are:
balooctl
baloo_file_extractor
baloosearch
baloo_file
baloo_filemetadata_temp_extractor
balooshow

and most have <cmd> --help explanations

and systemsettings5 contains a "search" configuration

Instead of killing baloo, it might be useful to run:
balooctl monitor
to check what it's doing.

And if that's not enough, there's documentation on:

https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration

For example, this might be useful if you want to exclude a git directory with
many files:
https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration#Exclude_Folders.

or just running:
balooctl config add excludeFolders /home/antonio/tmp/

Also, 'balooctl config list' shows the configuration options.

Hope that helps.

--
Antonio Larrosa