Re: [opensuse-factory] Machine seems sluggish, under KDE,, local access is slow and baloo_file takes 15-20% of the cores
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 04:05:13 +0100 (CET)

* Carlos E. R. <> [11-20-17 19:35]:
On 2017-11-21 00:26, Foolish Ewe wrote:
Hello all:

I'm running on what should be a nearly idle machine with fast hardware,  but it
doesn't feel like it.  My laptop has a high constant load average and becomes
unresponsive. I think I'm running with default settings for this service, what
would be the appropriate settings

Baloo is an indexer, and for some reason it may be stuck, loading the
hard disk heavily and thus slowing your machine as a result.

Maybe you need to kill it and erase its index.

but, beware that erasing the index means that baloo must regenerate that
index and will be more "cpu intensive" until that is accomplished.

True. But I'm thinking of a corrupt index. I remember indexers getting hung on a particular file and never finish.

Or maybe the matter to index is huge :-?

I'm not familiar with current KDE/Plasma whatever, but surely the indexing can be configured somewhere.

- -- Cheers
Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" (Minas Tirith))