Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built
On Tue, 2017-11-14 at 12:44 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-11-14 10:58, martin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 2017-11-13 at 15:13 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
El 2017-11-13 a las 15:04 +0100, martin@xxxxxxxxxxx escribió:
On Sun, 2017-11-12 at 23:34 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
Simon Lees composed on 2017-11-13 14:04 (UTC+1030):
Felix Miata wrote:
Basil Chupin composed on 12 Nov 2017 09:01:45 (+1100):
Felix Miata wrote:
I thought I was emulating this urpmi safety feature via an
emulating script.
This was the first time it failed me after too many years to
remember of working
as expected with distribution releases, Factory, and TW.

Why it makes sense is pretty simple, bad stuff happens,

Hi

It seems that bad stuff that happened here is triggered
somewhere
between chair and display.

Also note that for regulary maintained releases, zypper patch
will
update package management stack (zypper, libzypp, rpm) befor
installing
other updates. This does not make sense for dist upgrade where
exactly
stuff that happened to you would happen - but hey I guess you
know
better then developers of distribution.

But "zypper dup" is the reccomended method to upgrade from, say,
Leap 42.3
to 15.0. It is supposed to work out of the box.
And "zypper dup" works - installing zypper from Leap 15 on Leap
42.3
does not work - my understatnding from boo#1067737 and from current
discussion is that breakage is not result of upgrading while using
zypper but consequence of user meddling with upgrade process and
trying
to use binary from future release on old one.

Ah! This is an interesting point.

One of the "recommended" procedures to do a distribution upgrade is
do (method (a)):

zypper patch
change repos
zypper update zypper rpm
zypper dup --download-in-advance
That is not reccomended ways to do distribution upgrade! Please stop
spreading such misleading "reccomendations".