Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built
On Tue, 2017-11-14 at 09:28 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
wrote:

Heck pepole! Until just recently we did upgrade tests in openQA from
openSUSE 12.x to Tumbleweed and no such weird requirements were
needed.

Oh, forgot to mention that: but we did not stop the tests because they
would no longer work (technically seen); Just due to the increased size
of kernel and plasma, we ran into the issue that the original disk with
openSUSE 12.1 started to 'run out of space' for the upgrade. And it was
really not worth the effort to produce larger disks with 12.x on them.

But for the curious ones, openQA still has the old tests for you (Until
Snapshot 1101 it was tested

12.1 -> TW
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/520546 (actually still passed here)
12.2 -> TW
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/520547
12.3 -> TW
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/520919

At the moment, upgrades to TW are tested from:

Using the DVD (offline update)
13.1 (GNOME install)
13.2 (KDE/Plasma)
42.1 (GNOME)
42.1 (KDE/Plasma)
42.2 (GNOME)
42.2 (KDE/Plasma)

Using zypper dup:
13.1 (GNOME)
13.2 (KDE)
42.1 (GNOME)
42.1 (KDE)
42.2 (GNOME)
42.2 (KDE)
42.3 (GNOME)
'Published TW snapshot to next TW snapshot to be published'

The 'old' ones are kept around 'for as long as I can reasonably keep
them without them hurting me'; that can be like for 12.x disk space
issues or other technical issues.

Needless to say: us testing this stuff does not mean people should do
it - but it does sometimes help in uncovering fun packaging bugs; As
you can imagine, a 13.1 -> TW update failing is considered less
critical than a TW snapshot to next TW snapshot test failure

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >