Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built
martin@xxxxxxxxxxx composed on 2017-11-14 10:58 (UTC+0100):

And "zypper dup" works - installing zypper from Leap 15 on Leap 42.3
does not work - my understatnding from boo#1067737 and from current
discussion is that breakage is not result of upgrading while using
zypper but consequence of user meddling with upgrade process and trying
to use binary from future release on old one.

What I see is that it broke because zypper depends on something that its real
world dependency chain does not require be installed/upgraded along with it, one
potential brokenness my (upgrade package management system first, then
everything else) process used was intended to avoid. Broken zypper has never
happened here in over three years of consistently using the (package management
first script) process for both ordinary updates and distribution upgrades.

August 2014 is earliest version I've been able to locate without unretiring old
machines:
#!/bin/sh
zypper -v in zypper libzypp libsolv-tools rpm openSUSE-release
zypper -v in device-mapper dmraid glibc lvm2 multipath-tools mdadm systemd udev

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/