Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built
On Tue, 2017-11-14 at 07:26 +0100, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 0:01 Simon Lees wrote:
On 13/11/17 23:48, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On 13.11.2017 06:50, Simon Lees wrote:
On 13/11/17 15:04, Felix Miata wrote:
Simon Lees composed on 2017-11-13 14:04 (UTC+1030):
instead we make sure the old one is perfectly
capable of upgrading to a new version. Running "ldd

Would be interesting to know how you handle today that zypper
will
always work with future versions. A built-in DeLorean?

Well thats not quite what I said, but if new features have been
added
to zypper between 42.3 and 15.0 we will make sure that packages
don't
need / use them for an upgrade but really zypper doesn't have most
of
the upgrade magic, its all in the %pre %post etc of the spec files.

Having said that I don't think we are going to guarantee that the
zypper in openSUSE 10.3 is capable of directly updating to 15.0
(you
will hit many other non zypper issues anyway)

In the old times (before zypper and also before zmd/rug), if the
updater
found there is an update for it, it updated itself first (with
dependencies if necessary) and then started the updated updater
which
updated the rest as second pass.

Maybe this is something worth considering as it might improve the
chances for an upgrade to succeed.

Michal Kubeček

Heck pepole! Until just recently we did upgrade tests in openQA from
openSUSE 12.x to Tumbleweed and no such weird requirements were needed.

If we could upgrade openSUSE 12.x by skipping all of 13.x and Leap to
TW, what makes you believe we won't be able to handle an upgrade from
Leap 42.3 to Leap 15.0?

Stop spreading rumours just because you have to jump through hoops on
other platforms. For openSUSE it is rather simple:

* fully patch your running system (get all the updates)
* Change the repos to Leap 15.0
* zypper dup

Cheers
Dominique