Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 07:26:41 +0100
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 0:01 Simon Lees wrote:
On 13/11/17 23:48, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On 13.11.2017 06:50, Simon Lees wrote:
On 13/11/17 15:04, Felix Miata wrote:
Simon Lees composed on 2017-11-13 14:04 (UTC+1030):
instead we make sure the old one is perfectly
capable of upgrading to a new version. Running "ldd

Would be interesting to know how you handle today that zypper will
always work with future versions. A built-in DeLorean?

Well thats not quite what I said, but if new features have been added
to zypper between 42.3 and 15.0 we will make sure that packages don't
need / use them for an upgrade but really zypper doesn't have most of
the upgrade magic, its all in the %pre %post etc of the spec files.

Having said that I don't think we are going to guarantee that the
zypper in openSUSE 10.3 is capable of directly updating to 15.0 (you
will hit many other non zypper issues anyway)

In the old times (before zypper and also before zmd/rug), if the updater
found there is an update for it, it updated itself first (with
dependencies if necessary) and then started the updated updater which
updated the rest as second pass.

Maybe this is something worth considering as it might improve the
chances for an upgrade to succeed.

Michal Kubeček