Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built

On 13/11/17 23:48, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On 13.11.2017 06:50, Simon Lees wrote:
On 13/11/17 15:04, Felix Miata wrote:
Simon Lees composed on 2017-11-13 14:04 (UTC+1030):

instead we make sure the old one is perfectly
capable of upgrading to a new version. Running "ldd

Would be interesting to know how you handle today that zypper will always
work with future versions.
A built-in DeLorean?

Well thats not quite what I said, but if new features have been added to
zypper between 42.3 and 15.0 we will make sure that packages don't need
/ use them for an upgrade but really zypper doesn't have most of the
upgrade magic, its all in the %pre %post etc of the spec files.

Having said that I don't think we are going to guarantee that the zypper
in openSUSE 10.3 is capable of directly updating to 15.0 (you will hit
many other non zypper issues anyway)

/usr/lib64/libzypp.so.1600 will give you a list of some of the other
libraries that zypper requires you'd have to update all these as well.

So I guess my two line script could benefit from a study of ldd's 43 line
output, if I were capable of digesting it.

Note this may not be the complete list, you also need to check the
zypper and rpm binaries as well, once the list gets long enough you
might find things that are pre install requirements as well.

"zypper up zypper" will just handle all that.

No it won't really because zypper up won't change repo's it will make
sure you have the latest version of zypper shipped in 42.3 which is
probably good practice anyway.

Afterwards, "zypper -v dup --no-r" should upgrade everything else.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30