Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built (was: Leap 15 status update 20171110)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:28:07 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2017-11-13 at 16:04 +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
On 13 November 2017 at 15:13, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

Why it makes sense is pretty simple, bad stuff happens,

Hi

It seems that bad stuff that happened here is triggered somewhere
between chair and display.

Also note that for regulary maintained releases, zypper patch will
update package management stack (zypper, libzypp, rpm) befor installing
other updates. This does not make sense for dist upgrade where exactly
stuff that happened to you would happen - but hey I guess you know
better then developers of distribution.

But "zypper dup" is the reccomended method to upgrade from, say, Leap 42.3
to 15.0. It is supposed to work out of the box.

There is, of course, another method using the DVD, which I personally
prefer.

If you expect migrations to work perfectly between a released product
and the earliest development versions of a brand new codebase, then
you are quite frankly stupid.

Richard, please, are you really calling me stupid in public?

Do you really think that I know nothing about system upgrades? I contributed the wiki page on offline upgrades, so I should know a think or two.

If you run into problems and do not file bug reports, then you are
quite frankly useless

If you don't file bug reports and instead wax lyrical about how other
distributions from a bygone age managed things on the -factory
mailinglist, then you are both useless and wasting everybodies time.

Please, Richard, I do fill bugzillas.

But Martin accussed Felix of user error, not bug. I was answering to him, doubting his claims.

I suggest you retract, in public. Here. :-/

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.