[opensuse-factory] Missing kernel modules for VirtualBox
On 11/13/2017 12:20 PM, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

In the E-mail with subject "New Tumbleweed snapshot 20171112 released!", we see the following:

Packages changed:
kernel-source (4.13.11 -> 4.13.12)

As noted, the kernel after updating will be 4.13.12; however, the VirtualBox kernel modules in the repos are for kernel 4.13.10. Accordingly, if you update either a Tumbleweed guest or host, the kernel modules will not be available. In a host, you will be unable to start a VirtualBox Virtual Machine. The popup window will tell you to run '/sbin/bvoxconfig'. Unfortunately, that does not work with the current source. Edit (as root) /sbin/vboxconfig, find the two lines that say

echo "Reinstall virtualbox-host-source package. Quitting .."
exit 1

and remove them. You may also need to 'sudo zypper in kernel-devel'. The script should now create and install the kernel modules. If not, please post the error messages. These changes to the script will soon be submitted.

In a TW guest, the vboxvideo module will be available, but the module used for shared files will not. I am still working on the vboxguestconfig script to make it work in this situation.

Larry