Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Kontact/kmail crashing often
  • From: Wolfgang Bauer <wbauer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 18:06:52 +0100
Am Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2017, 16:33:58 schrieb Ianseeks:
On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 15:48:32 GMT Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
Am Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2017, 10:59:33 schrieb ianseeks:
I've run kmail from cli and just got these messages after selecting a
folder just prior to a crash..

org.kde.akonadi.ETM: collection: "kdepim-users"
org.kde.akonadi.ETM: Fetch job took 1055 msec
org.kde.akonadi.ETM: was item fetch job: items: 2107
kmail: pushbuf.c:727: nouveau_pushbuf_data: Assertion `kref' failed.

^^^
Yes, that's indeed the well-known and long-standing nouveau crash.

Uninstalling Mesa-nouveau-dri should help, or installing the proprietary
nvidia driver.

Thanks Wolfgang. I thought i had done this a long time ago, not sure how it
got back there.

Well, as discussed in another subthread, we had/have a patch in QtWebEngine
(used by kmail to display mails) to prevent those crashes since over a year.
That patch didn't work any more since the update to Qt 5.9.2 though, so that's
why you had this problem (again) now.

A fix has been submitted to Tumbleweed already meanwhile, so you should be
able to reinstall Mesa-dri-nouveau after the next libqt5-qtwebengine update.

Not having it installed will disable hardware accelerated OpenGL in general.
This also means that the desktop will be slower.
So probably a good idea to install it again then, if it doesn't cause you
other problems. ;-)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang