Re: [opensuse-factory] FF56 Flash Player - Working on Windows 10 not working on Tumbleweed
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:14:47 +0100
Op maandag 30 oktober 2017 17:11:31 CET schreef Marco Calistri:
Il 25/10/2017 20:47, Christian Boltz ha scritto:

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2017, 19:29:10 CEST schrieb Marco Calistri:

In my case to answer to Patrick, I see the warning message to "Update
Flash Player" whenever I click on a Facebook attached video despite I
already have the latest Flash Player plugin installed in FF56

Try to disable Flash Player in the firefox plugin settings - and I
really mean to set it to "disabled" - "ask every time" won't work [1].

I know this sounds like a funny advise, so let me explain ;-)

Many sites automatically switch to HTML5 video when they detect Flash
Player isn't available. This detection is done based on headers your
browser sends.

I rarely view Facebook pages, but last time I did, I was able to play a
video. I uninstalled Flash Player two years ago, so it obviously worked
without Flash ;-)

Oh, and I didn't miss Flash Player in the last two years ;-) - most
pages I usually visit all switched to HTML5 video, and in the very rare
case I can't see a video, youtube-dl helps.

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] Last time I tested, Firefox did still send out the header indicating

that Flash Player is installed when it was set to "ask every time"
mode. Note that this was two years ago, so while I never heard about
a change in this area, I won't guarantee that the behaviour is still
the same ;-)

Nothing to do!

Tried to uninstall flash-player then uninstall the fresh-player (which
surprisingly was already installed).
Then install just fresh-player and finally re-install flash-player.

So far only Google Chrome seems to be able to play *swf* containers.

Nor Firefox, nor Opera are able to do it.

Cheers,

Marco

Don't know if you saw this, but even Adobe themselves discourage the use of
flashplayer. I haven't had it installed for years now, and do not miss it at
all.
--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member