Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:36:41 +0200
On 9 October 2017 at 17:11, Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On lundi, 9 octobre 2017 16.46:22 h CEST Richard Brown wrote:
I'm reaching out to other rpm upstream developers and other interested
parties to get a better feel for a broader feeling.

Which is the right way to do it, more we have common shared things,
better it is for admins of all horizons.
Thanks for taking that into account.

This isn't the sort of thing I want to change twice
Yeap sure, but you CAN :-))

After discussions with rpm upstream, the consensus is now that the
suitable location is

/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm

/usr/lib/sysimage is a new location conceptualised to be shared for
this 'class' of data - object files and other assorted data which
describes the "system image". Such as rpm's database, apt's database,
and potentially other similar package databases.

This location should be perfectly suitable for systems with read-only
filesystem usecases (eg. Kubic, RH Atomic, etc) and has the agreement
of RH Atomic's rpm-ostree developer.

It also is a location that solves all of our problems as a very
'snapshot orientated' distribution.

I also see benefits in this location to simplify many peoples backup
routines - /var should now be treatable as truly variable data,
consisting of nothing needed to get the _system_ back up and running.
For those backing up system and services separately, /var should now
be treatable with the same logic as /srv - needed to backup your
services, not your system.

Along with rpm upstream, we'll be approaching other projects that have
a similar problem with their use of /var suggesting the use of
/usr/lib/sysimage as the solution to those using read-only
filesystems, using system snapshotting, or wanting to simplify peoples
backup options.

Long term, rpm is considering this location as a possible future
default, but with obvious work to do before - such as coming up with a
migration routine that will work in every scenario and distribution
where rpm is used.

Meanwhile, for openSUSE I have a migration routine that I'm happy will
work for all of our scenarios.
Our patched rpm package with the new location is building in the
appropriate Devel Project and will be sent to Factory soon.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.