Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20171023 released!
On 26 October 2017 at 17:40, Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Il giorno Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:36:30 +0200
Markus Feilner <mfeilner@xxxxxxx> ha scritto:

Kontact crashes on start, but only on an NVIDIA-Nouveau system (#1)

At least in this case, my guess is that it's related to the Qt
WebEngine used to display mails (basically an embedded version of
Chromium), because it's quite prone to crash on Noveau systems.

If Luca is right (and I think he is) then I would like to point out
that you agreed to the following when you installed Mesa-dri-nouveau
on your system:

"WARNING: Nouveau DRI/3D driver selected.

This driver is considered experimental and is known to have issues with
applications that use certain 3D acceleration features of modern
NVIDIA hardware.

Symptoms include application crashes or lockups & crashes of your system's
graphical environment. Older Hardware and less demanding applications may work
just fine and do benefit from the Hardware acceleration features this driver
offers over software emulation.

Use of this driver is especially not recommended for use with the KDE Desktop
Environment or Qt-based Applications.

The hardware vendor potentially offers alternative drivers.

Please click "I Agree" if you accept the risks that may come with the
installation of this driver. Choose "I Disagree" to prevent installation
of the driver and use software emulation instead."

And just to put emphasis on the salient point