Re: [opensuse-factory] new packages/features and /etc/sysconfig (was: Login Manager changed from KDM to SSDM)
On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 13:46 +0200, Michael Hirmke wrote:
Hi,

[...]
Makre sure to have yast2-alternatives installed, if you don't have
it
already, then you can find it in YaST under Misc/Alternatives

I'd like to raise two topics as a followup to this statement:

Is there any information source, where one can find things like that?
If new features, packages or whatever get introduced or are removed,
how
can we know that? Perhaps I missed that somehow, but then I'm not the
only one, as it seems.

Things tend to be announced on this very list, if I catch stuff I'll
try to mention it in the weekly news (sometimes bi-weekly), the YaST
team themselves have a great blog where they announce even more details
on changes planned/done (yast2-alternatives is not exactly new anymore,
we had it for > 1 year now)

And:

Is there any process implemented to clean up /etc/sysconfig, i.e.
does anything delete unused entries and files and/or unused files in
whole?

Template files are shipped as part of packages in /var/adm/fillup-
templates and packages responsible for them use the respective macros
to migrate fillup info into the real /etc/sysconfig/* files (so at
least the theory)

Cheers
Dominique