Re: [opensuse-factory] Fail2ban 0.10.1 with IPv6 features in security/fail2ban
On 10/24/2017 08:18 AM, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
My home Internet provider also does not offer IPv6. My idea is to test
in LAN. Usually every IPv6 capable host in LAN gets a link-local address
in network fe80::/64. So you can try to test with a local IPv6 address
to access e.g. password protected Apache folders multiple times until
Fail2ban fires.

Unfortunately I can run this with IPv4, but IPv6 gives me an error. Ideas?

You're better off testing with Unique Local Addresses, which are the
IPv6 equivalent of IPv4 RFC 1918 addresses. The problem with link local
addresses is they're often difficult to work with. You have to specify
the interface to be used and some apps, such as browsers, tend not to
work with them.

You can create a ULA prefix by appending 10 random hex digits to f8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address