Re: [opensuse-factory] nvidia and kernel 4.13 from obs:/Kernel:/stable/standard
* Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxx> [10-20-17 03:31]:
Hi,

I'm wondering why I don't get the combination of kernel 4.13 and the
proprietary nVidia driver to work.

I also have installed a 4.12 kernel from that obs repo, and the nvidia
installer runs nicely and everything works fine.

When booting into a kernel 4.13, I only have a flickering startup screen
- there is no graphical display, but the system obviously tries to show
it, falls back to the command line, tries graphical mode again and so
on. The switching is so fast that I can't even use Strg-Alt-F3 to enter
a console... Only rebooting into a kernel 4.12 helps.

What am I missing?

Last thing I did was setting the default runlevel to "multi-user"
instead of "graphical". I'll try to get useful messages at least.
Currently I can only presume that kernel 4.13 handles the hardware in an
way that is incompatible to the way 4.12 does, but I have no clue how to
get around this.

Next thing is that I'm going to (re-)install the nvidia driver when
running a 4.13 in text mode.

Anyone here who can help me, please? What should I look for?

I use NVidia's "run" packagevia
sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.12.run -aqs --install-libglvnd

Crash] openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171018
Linux 4.13.6-1-default x86_64
12-thr Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 970 3193MHz
Load: 0.14 Tasks: 1028
Mem: 16310/36192MB
Disk: 1590/10839GB
Gfx: NVIDIA Corporation GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] @ 3840x1080

remembering to reinstall the driver whenever a mesa or xorg package is
upgraded or reinstalled.

and have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf