Re: [opensuse-factory] Enabling Wayland on Gnome 3.26?
On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 15:42 +0100, Michael Aquilina wrote:
Hi all,

I was under the impression that by default the Gnome login shell was
using Wayland - but using the following test seems to indicate I am
using X11:

$ loginctl
SESSION UID USER SEAT TTY
1 1001 michael seat0 tty2
c1 466 gdm seat0 tty7

2 sessions listed.

$ loginctl show-session 1 -p Type
Type=x11

Yes, that method works:
loginctl show-session 1 -p Type
Type=wayland

Is this the correct way to check if I running Wayland on Tumbleweed?
If it is and I am actually running X11, how do I actually enable
Wayland?

If you installed it using standard methods, then gnome-session-wayland
is not being installed yet

sudo zypper in gnome-session-wayland

should be all you need to switch though

Cheers
Dominique

PS: there are issues with 'suid apps' like YaST and gparted, that are
not yet fully integrated and fixed. Wayland's default is not to allow
anybody but the user connect to the display server.