Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE & Linux hardware vendors (was: Re: Station X & openSUSE)
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:32:53 +0200
On 16 October 2017 at 15:30, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

El 15-10-2017 a las 15:29, Richard Brown escribió:

If anyone has any ideas they want to throw into the ring regarding our
projects collaboration with these and other hardware vendors, please
feel free to use this unexpected thread to do so.

So.. what are we getting in return ?.. I think that is a fair question to
ask.. are they providing human resources or sponsorship of any kind to the
project ?

We haven't really discussed in detail anything formally but ideas are
bouncing around.
Like I already said, they seem keen to contribute, so that's a start.
More contributors is a good thing, isn't it?

(BTW, I really hate the term 'human resources' - especially in a
volunteer project. We're all people, thank you very much. Some of us
are contributors also. None of us in the openSUSE Project are
'resources'.)

Also they're going to be giving openSUSE to their users. That makes
them our users. More users is a good thing, isn't it?
More people getting openSUSE freshly installed on their laptop from
their day of purchase is a good thing isn't it?
It's in our best interest to make that experience as smooth as
possible for those users, just as we strive to do for all of our
users, isn't it?

What else would you want?

Not to be too philosophical about this but we're creating openSUSE and
distributing it under a GPL collective work license, by design that
means anyone can and is welcome to take openSUSE and redistribute it
in it's entirety.

They owe us nothing in return besides their contributions if they
change what they've taken from us under that license.

I don't think we tying addition preconditions would be in the spirit
of what we're doing here, nor the environment of mutual collaboration
we need in order to be able to keep this project operating
sustainably.