Re: [opensuse-factory] Deprecation of devel:languages:python3
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Michael Aquilina
<michaelaquilina@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm a bit late to this conversation but is the intention to completly
get rid of python 2? I work with Python as my main language and while
we work mostly with Python 3 there all still some occassions where we
need a working verison of python 2.

Mike

Mike,

The openSUSE team is giving us 2 years notice that they will be
strongly considering removing python 2 as of the end of 2019.

You likely need to identify where python 2 is still important and
start notifying stakeholders / managers that 2 years from now python 2
support will start disappearing. But its not just an openSUSE issue,
it much bigger than that.

I assume you know one of the traditional ways to keep legacy code
running is to put it inside a VM and secure the VM with tight
firewalls. So it Leap 42.3 for instance were the last python 2
supporting version of openSUSE, you just keep a Leap 42.3 VM going as
long as you need python 2.

FYI: I know I have some python 2 stuff I maintain still, but its not
even the direct upstream. Its dependencies they call that haven't yet
added python 3 support.

Greg