Re: [opensuse-factory] Enabling PulseAudio on XFCE default
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:48:51 +0200,
Manfred Hollstein wrote:

Moin,

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017, 17:24:40 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
Hi,

while we're at XFCE update:
another topic I had in my mind since the last year is to enable
PulseAudio as default for XFCE. I know many people are still using
ALSA directly, but for the new system, deploying PA would be
(supposedly) less pain for a wider range of users.

Looking at the current setup, we have the following:

- In patterns-xfce4, the spec contains:

%package xfce_basis
Requires: xfce4-mixer
Requires: xfce4-notifyd

- In xfce4-branding-openSUSE, the spec contains:

%package -n xfce4-panel-branding-openSUSE
Recommends: xfce4-mixer
Recommends: xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer

Now the questions are:
- Do we still need Requires in patterns-xfce4?

- Just replacing xfce4-mixer with pavucontrol and
xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer with xfce4-panel-plugin-pulseaudio works?

This should drag pulseaudio package. alsa-plugins-pulse should be
also included by recommends.

- What to do with users who currently don't install pulseaudio yet?

When pulseaudio package is installed, PA is started at the next
session via desktop autostart. It can be disabled via running
setup-pulseaudio --disable
once, but this can't be done automagically.

on my HTCP I still use Alsa directly and try to make sure that no
pulseaudio package sneaks in... Why? At least on Leap up until 42.3
direct passthrough simply does not work for any more complex/recent
channels such as DTS Master etc. As I already disabled the "install all
recommended packages" thing in zypp.conf/zypper.conf, I'd rather
appreciate to not "Require:" any PA packages.

Sure, it's also not my plan, at most Recommends, so that people can
add zypper lock. A few of my machines are also without PA, and I
don't want to shoot myself, so don't worry :)

thanks,

Takashi