Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: XFCE upcoming / planned stuff
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 14:31:16 -0400
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Stefan Seyfried
<stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Greg,

Am 09.10.2017 um 18:02 schrieb Greg Freemyer:

If the XFCE image is available in OBS to branch and supplement with my
preferred selection of packages (from OBS), I for one would likely
switch to it as a base.
I'm actually aiming at recreating the old "rescue image", which will
have a very basic XFCE setup, a web browser (for web-searching
solutions) and all the filesystems, LVM, gparted, whatever tools.
I'll try to keep it as small as possible.

I keep my live image on DVD and thumb.

I build hybridpersistent isos, which you can put on a DVD or onto an USB
stick.

Sounds good

I have 2 variants: UEFI and non-UEFI

Actually the UEFI hybrid iso boots just fine on non-EFI systems. The
only problem I encountered is, that the UEFI build does not work on i586...

Interesting. I don't think that is true with the appliances I
currently get out of Suse Studio.

ie. I know sometimes a PC will boot from either of my media, but I'm
pretty sure I've had occasions where only the non-UEFI would boot.

I don't currently maintain a 32-bit variant, but if Tumbleweed is
going to be supported, I'd have that option as well.

... I'd need to find out if I can somehow conditionalize the
firmware=uefi on the host arch, or create two distinct packages which
differ by only this switch, which would be ugly. Then I'm all for
supporting 32bit.

Not hugely important for me. I do have older 13.1 32-bit boot media.
In theory I can just use it if I need to work with a 32-bit PC.

Maybe once I'm ready with the rescue image (which might take some time),
we can just throw in your forensic tools? So you don't actually need to
maintain your own images?

That would be great if reasonable.

The main things I use are CLI, not GUI. I currently ensure these are
available (maybe not all are critical?):

ntfs-3g
ntfsprogs
hdparm
fdisk
smartmontools
dmidecode
sysstat
dd_rescue
gnu_ddrescue
dc3dd
libewf-tools
iputils

I don't know how many MB that would be additional to what is on the rescue disk.

fuse-exfat would also be nice. I don't currently have it on mine
because I'm not totally clear on the license issues.

Thanks
Greg

Best regards,

Stefan