[opensuse-factory] Re: XFCE upcoming / planned stuff
Hi Takashi,

Am 09.10.2017 um 17:50 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 17:41:36 +0200,
Stefan Seyfried wrote:

Hi,

(cc'ing Takashi, who does not yet know about my plans even though we are
co-maintaining X11:xfce ;-)

Now that the XFCE stuff in Factory is somewhat reasonably current, I'd like
to propose a change in the default setup.
I'd like to switch to the whiskermenu panel plugin
(https://gottcode.org/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/) as a default start menu.

Existing setups will not be changed, just the default for new users.

Sounds like a good idea. I know that you worked on that stuff.

The way this would be achieved would be a change in xfce4-branding-openSUSE
package (actually
xfce4-panel-branding-openSUSE) to the panel config, and that package then
would get a "Requires:
xfce4-panel-plugin-whiskermenu".
This requires would lead to ~500kB wasted space for people who do not want
to use whiskermenu, but that's it, it won't
do no harm otherwise.

Can't it be Recommends instead? Then you can add a lock to zypper
and it keeps working without complaints.

No, not really. The whiskermenu is listed in
/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml as
<property name="plugin-1" type="string" value="whiskermenu"/>

...and if it is not present, you'll get no menu at all, because I
removed the old menu.

We could do crazy hacks with %post-install scripts autogenerating the
xfce4-panel.xml, but I'd rather not go for that. It's really just the
whiskermenu package being ~350kb wasted space.

If someone really wants to avoid that, I'd take submit requests for an
alternate branding package ;-)
(Or let's just tell them to use *-branding-upstream. This branding stuff
is mostly about the defaults users get, after you start configuring the
desktop, your own configurations are overriding most of it anyway)

And then "Recommends:" won't work because everyone is using
"--no-recommends" anyway :-P

Other than that, it looks promising, please go ahead.
XFCE-Leap-42.3-latest => XFCE from X11:xfce
XFCE-Leap-42.3-stable => XFCE as shipped in Leap 42.3
XFCE-Tumbleweed-latest => XFCE from X11:xfce
XFCE-Tumbleweed-stable => XFCE as shipped in Tumbleweed

The latter two should be pretty identical right now, but once I submit the
above whiskermenu change to X11:xfce the
Tumbleweed-latest variant will get the newer look.

Opinions?

Looks interesting, although I'm a sort of skeptical whether there will
be so many users of live image nowadays... I don't mean objecting it
at all, so I'm happy to see that stuff in OBS.

I'm also not sure how many users they'll get. But they are handy to e.g.
check branding changes (On my machines, everything is heavily customized
and so it's sometimes really interesting to check how it looks on an
"untouched" installation ;-)

The trigger for creating them was actually the Idea of resurrecting the
rescue image, which I deem useful. The "desktop test" images were first
steps on the way ;)

BTW, speaking of XFCE: do we have any openQA tasks for XFCE?

I have no idea, I know of none ;-)
Fortunately, I'm running the X11:xfce code (or even worse:
home:seife:xfce) all the time upon Tumbleweed, so I think I'd catch
serious failures soon.
--
Stefan Seyfried