Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: XFCE upcoming / planned stuff
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 17:50:50 +0200, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 17:41:36 +0200,
Stefan Seyfried wrote:

Hi,

(cc'ing Takashi, who does not yet know about my plans even though we are
co-maintaining X11:xfce ;-)

Now that the XFCE stuff in Factory is somewhat reasonably current, I'd like
to propose a change in the default setup.
I'd like to switch to the whiskermenu panel plugin
(https://gottcode.org/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/) as a default start menu.

Existing setups will not be changed, just the default for new users.

Sounds like a good idea. I know that you worked on that stuff.

The way this would be achieved would be a change in xfce4-branding-openSUSE
package (actually
xfce4-panel-branding-openSUSE) to the panel config, and that package then
would get a "Requires:
xfce4-panel-plugin-whiskermenu".
This requires would lead to ~500kB wasted space for people who do not want
to use whiskermenu, but that's it, it won't
do no harm otherwise.

Actually, it is more:
--8<---
# zypper in -l in xfce4-panel-plugin-whiskermenu
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 11 NEW packages are going to be installed:
libgarcon-1-0 libgarcon-branding-openSUSE libgarcon-data libgarcon-lang
libxfce4panel-2_0-4 libxfce4ui-tools openSUSE-xfce-icon-theme
xfce4-panel-plugin-whiskermenu
xfce4-panel-plugin-whiskermenu-lang xfce4-settings-branding-openSUSE
xfce4-splash-branding-openSUSE

The following 3 recommended packages were automatically selected:
libgarcon-data libgarcon-lang xfce4-panel-plugin-whiskermenu-lang

11 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 873.0 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation,
additional 1.8 MiB will be used.
-->8---

which will be added to my already loaded system
--8<---
# rpm -qa | wc -l
8082
# zypper se | grep ^i | wc -l
8280
-->8---

Other than that, I see no objections

Can't it be Recommends instead? Then you can add a lock to zypper
and it keeps working without complaints.

Other than that, it looks promising, please go ahead.

If there are no objections, then I'd submit this soon (first to X11:xfce,
then to Factory).

And that brings me to the second point: I'm trying to bring the XFCE Live
CDs back.
OK, the ISO's are too big for CDs, but work well as DVD or hybridpersistent
USB stick.

If you want to try them out *now*, grab them from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/seife:/xfce/images/iso/

If there are no serious issues reported, I'd submit them to X11:xfce (and
then announce the new location).

There are 4 images available:

XFCE-Leap-42.3-latest => XFCE from X11:xfce
XFCE-Leap-42.3-stable => XFCE as shipped in Leap 42.3
XFCE-Tumbleweed-latest => XFCE from X11:xfce
XFCE-Tumbleweed-stable => XFCE as shipped in Tumbleweed

The latter two should be pretty identical right now, but once I submit the
above whiskermenu change to X11:xfce the
Tumbleweed-latest variant will get the newer look.

Opinions?

Looks interesting, although I'm a sort of skeptical whether there will
be so many users of live image nowadays... I don't mean objecting it
at all, so I'm happy to see that stuff in OBS.

BTW, speaking of XFCE: do we have any openQA tasks for XFCE?

thanks,

Takashi

--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.27 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE